Media Convergence

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Journalism Selections #8

PressThink

Jay Rosen interviewed former Times-Picayune reporter John Quaid about pro-am journalism. The interview was pretty interesting, especially in light of the things I've been learning in my reporting class over the past month or so. I've realized that some of the most powerful tools a journalist has are other people. Other people not only give you quotes and data and interviews, but they can hook you up with some pretty sweet story ideas, too.

Over the course of this interview, Rosen and McQuaid discuss the changing role of journalism when it comes to holding government officials accountable and the different kinds of online social networks that would be useful for professional journalists.

-----

Romenesko

The St Pete Times published an article about News Corp's dual involvement in the upcoming OJ Simpson book and interview. On one hand, the book's publisher is Judith Regan, whose imprint is owned by HarperCollins, the publishing arm of News Corp. On the other hand, pundits like Bill O'Reilly and Geraldo Rivera (both employed by Fox Broadcasting, also owned by News Corp) are some of the most outspoken critics of the OJ Simpson media blitz.

I have my own theory about this, but Robert Thompson, director of the Center for the Study of Popular Television at Syracuse University, puts it better than I could:

“My theory has always been that Fox News and Fox Broadcasting are the perfect synthesis. The one produces all this outrageous programming that the pundits on the other can complain about.”


-----

Altercation

I don't know why I was shocked to find out about the multibillion dollar buyout of Clear Channel. I guess I figured that there was some sort of natural limit to the size of a media conglomerate like that, but if there is, it's pretty evident that we haven't reached it yet.

2 Comments:

Blogger Milton said...

I have a feeling the pundits are over reacting to this OJ story. Should we wait and see what book and Fox TV show is about before we get all upset?

Judith Regan has published some books by bottom feeders such as Lush Limpballs. She dated a married man Bernie Kerik Former NYC police commissioner and Bush Home Land Security failed nominee.

But Ron Goldman has made a living off his son’s death. His son was some sort of gigolo in LA.




Shalom,

--- Prof. Leland Milton Goldblatt

1:01 PM  
Blogger Caitlin Kuleci said...

Hi Milton,

I have two responses to your comment:

1. I actually don't care all that much about the content of the book (nor do I care about the details of Ms. Regan's personal life). I just find it interesting that one media conglomerate is manipulating both ends of a controversy.

2. I don't know what Ron Goldman did beyond working as a waiter, but I know whatever it is doesn't suddenly make it okay that he was brutally murdered. His father is free to deal with it in whatever manner he wishes. I don't really feel as though I occupy the moral high ground to criticize a parent who is apparently seeking justice for the murder of his child.

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home